The system administrator or person who installs McIDAS-X will use these installation instructions.
Unidata McIDAS-X and -XCD have been successfully built at the UPC on the platforms in the following table. McIDAS-XCD has been tested at the UPC on two of these platforms, Sun Solaris SPARC and Fedora Core 5 Linux.
|Apple||MacOS-X 10.5||gfortran 4.3, gcc 4.0.1 (packaged with Xcode 3.0)(1)|
|FreeBSD Project||FreeBSD 4.11(4)||gcc, f77|
|Hewlett Packard(3)||HP-UX 11.11||Vendor
HP Fortran 90 version 3.1; HP C/ANSI C 11.11.16
|IBM(2)||AIX 5.1||Vendor f77, cc
|RedHat||Enterprise 4,5; Fedora 6,7,8||gcc, g77, gfortran|
|Silicon Graphics||IRIX64 6.5||Vendor f77, cc
|Sun||Solaris x86 10||Vendor f77, cc; Versions SC5.0+
|Sun||Solaris SPARC 9/10||Vendor f77, cc; Ver
sions Sun Studio 11/12
1. The indicated compiler combination is recommended by SSEC for both the Intel and PPC versions of MacOS-X 10.5.
2. SSEC supports AIX 5L version 5.3.3 using the XLF 8.1.0 Fortran and XLC 6.0 C compiler combination in addition to gcc and g77. The UPC's operates an AIX 5.1 machine with older Vendor compilers, so we rely on SSEC's testing for more recent AIX platforms.
3. In the v2006 release notes, SSEC announced cessation of support for HP-UX beginning with McIDAS-X version 2007. Unidata followed suit and decided to drop support for HP-UX in Unidata McIDAS. SSEC has extended support on HP-UX through 2009 due to Australian Bureau of Meteorology needs. Unidata has not built McIDAS-X/-XCD v2007 on HP-UX. We are deferring to SSEC's judgment of its viability.
4. The UPC does not currently own or have routine access to a machine with a current version of FreeBSD. Support for this platform is provided for sites that will allow us access to their machine(s).
5. Use of GNU gcc and g77 is the only non-vendor compiler combination supported.
6. Use of GNU gcc/g77 and gcc/gfortran are the only compiler combinations supported.
The McIDAS-X installation consists of seven tasks:
If you have questions about the installation, please send email to Unidata McIDAS Support <email@example.com>.