[McIDAS #KXE-360876]: Upgrade to Fedora 7. Now what?

Hi Gilbert,

I got a couple of minutes this morning to take a look at your McIDAS setup
on weather.admin.niu.edu to see if I could determine why your remote ADDE
serving is not working.

Here is what I did and what I found:

<logged in as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k LIST
dataloc.k: error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.0: cannot open

which g77
g77: Command not found.

I think what is going on is that the upgrade from FC6 to Fedora 7 removed
the g77 installation; part of this installation was the libg2c.o library.
Since your McIDAS distribution was built using g77, all of the executables
rely on entry points in libg2c.

The 'solution' is one of two things:

- locate the RPM for g77 that will work on Fedora 7 (search for compat-gcc
  compat-g77) and install it; I believe that this will solve the problem
  immediately.  If it does not, you will be forced to rebuild McIDAS as
  follows:

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src
  make clobber
  make all
  make install.all

- wait for about two weeks for the v2007 distribution of McIDAS and install
  it.  The reason I suggest this option is I modified McIDAS so it can be
  built using 'gfortran'.  Moving away from g77 -- which does not get installed
  automatically with Linux -- to gfortran -- which _does_ get installed with
  Linux -- should make users' lives easier

Ticket ID: KXE-360876
Department: Support McIDAS