Re: [uaf_tech] Next UAF telcon: June 10th, 12:30pm EDT

Hi Rich, et al:

I agree that modifying NcML in the TDS when files arrive is not a viable solution. You need
to use a scan element for this, although we are replacing <scan> elements with
<collection> elements (in FMRC right now, will be extended to other aggregations in
4.3).

1) Specifying the time range in the catalog for this case is possible. Heres
how we do it on motherlode:

      <timeCoverage>
        <end>present</end>
        <duration>7 days</duration>
      </timeCoverage>

this means that the starting time is "present" - 7 days. The TDS generates the
actual ISO dates in the catalog, eg at this moment:

TimeCoverage:

Start: 2010-06-03 12:04:57Z
End: 2010-06-10 12:04:57Z
Duration: 7 days

A bit more detail at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/catalog/v1.0.2/InvCatalogSpec.html#timeCoverageType

2) One can also generate time ranges from the filename, see "Adding
timeCoverage" in

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/reference/DatasetScan.html

this is used when you have files with the starting time embedded in the
filename and a known duration.

3) We are moving towards automatic generation of the time coverage, as Rich
mentioned, we do that now in the FMRC, and we will try to extend that to other
aggregations where the time coordinate can be extracted

Not sure if I covered all the issues.

John

Rich Signell wrote:
Guys,

Sorry to sent this twice, but I wanted to cc John Caron and Ethan
Davis to allow them to comment.

-Rich