Re: latest Catalog XML

Hi Ethan,

I don't think so, but I don't know what you are talking about either, so that is not definitive.   Let me remind you what I am trying to do.   I contend (though people do not necessarily believe me) that it is not reasonable to expect the THREDDS catalog at a particular site to fit into a single file.   It is certainly grossly inefficient to transmit the whole tree when the user is only interested in a small branch.   I think the IRI Data Library catalog is one of those catalogs.   The way I do that is to transmit one level of nesting at a time, using catalogREF to point to the sub-catalogs.   Those subcatalogs may contain a collection or a dataset:  there is no real difference as far as the Ingrid is concerned, though I am perfectly happy to call objects without DODS access collections and objects with DODS access datasets.     If you use datasetaliasing, then you still have the problem of creating a THREDDS document that describes a dataset within a collection, which means a catalog must be able to contain a single dataset.   No real progress.

Benno

Ethan Davis wrote:

Benno Blumenthal wrote:

> This does not quite work for me, unless you allow a catalog to
> contain exactly one collection or exactly one dataset. Right
> now the only thredds thing that can be pointed to is a catalog,
> with the added provision that a catalog with one collection is
> effectively that collection -- I would like to point to datasets
> with thredds, which requires either that a catalog can point to
> a dataset or a collection, or that you extend collection to be
> isomorphic to dataset.   The catalog modification would be
> preferable.

Currently dataset aliasing is confined to the current document. What do people
think of extending dataset aliasing to reference datasets external to the
current document. It means a bit higher maintenance risk as far as broken links
but not much more than the catalogRef already implies. Would that work for you
Benno?

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                       Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                    Fax:       (303) 497-8690

--
Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          address@hidden
International Research Institute for climate prediction