[netCDF #VKT-810381]: compiling netcdf with hdf5

The relevant line in config.log is, I think, this one:
    configure:16853: icc -E -I{HD5DIR}/include conftest.c
This line is the proximate cause of this error message:
    conftest.c(117): error #2379: cannot open source file "hdf5.h
My speculation is that
    -I{HD5DIR}/include
should be
    -I${HD5DIR}/include
that is, the dollar sign is missing. So probably
where ever you set CPPFLAGS or CFLAGS, there is a missing dollar sign.

> I'm trying to compile netcdf-4.3.3.1 with hdf5 using an intel compiler on
> Stampede2. Every time I configure it I end up with:
>
> > checking hdf5.h usability... no
> > checking hdf5.h presence... no
> > checking for hdf5.h... no
> > configure: error: Compiling a test with HDF5 failed.  Either hdf5.h cannot
> > be
>
> I'm also attaching the config.log file because I can't seem to work around it
> even though the hdf5.h file is there.
>

> I also need to get this complete so I can compile the netcdf-fortran source .
>

> Thank you,
>
> Tyler Miesse

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata