[netCDF #WVT-997700]: dap access to huge files fails

The problem appears to be that at least the variable
        Float32 lap_fric_u[time = 1776][st_ocean = 89][yu_ocean = 382][xu_ocean
= 273];
is too large to fit into a netcdf-3 variable.
Remember that the netcdf-c library attempts to translate
an opendap (i.e. DAP2) request into an equivalent netcdf-3
representation so that it can be accessed thru the netcdf API.
The lap_fric_u variable size is 1776*89*382*273*4bytes = 65935449216bytes
which is too big for netcdf-3.
Can you send me the a url to the catalog entry on the thredds server
for this dataset? If by some chance they have DAP4 enabled, then
you should be able to at least get ncdump -h to work.

> as usual letters come if something does not work. Sorry. I had reported
> this error before, the ticket was closed as fixed. But the error still
> persists, also in the very latest code downloaded from the git. You may
> want to know this.
>
> The version is netcdf library version 4.6.2-development of Jul  1 2018
> 21:41:57  After building with autotools and configure all tests pass.
>
> The error symptom is:
>
> ./ncdump
> http://thredds-iow.io-warnemuende.de/thredds/dodsC/genus/IOW-THREDDS-genus_exp19_run2_5day_ocean_2017-10-20-16.nc
>

> fails, when the header section is read.

> data:
>
> NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Location: file vardata.c; line 473
>
> Linking the library to ferret, coordinates are reported as out of order.
> Trying to print them, kills ferret. With smaller data sets also the
> latest netcdf works well.
>
> Linking this ferret version with netcdf-4.4.1.1 instead (same hdf5 and
> szip) everything is fine. Also ncdump works well with this library.
>
> The tredds is public, so you may reproduce the error by yourself. Hence,
> I do not add a complete error report yet. If you do not see the error,
> please let me know, I can deliver all details on the netcdf-build and
> the thredds as well.
>
> Greetings and sorry for coming with the same issue again,
>
> Martin Schmidt

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: WVT-997700