[IDV #MHJ-258620]: Pydap file server fails

on URL:

http://portal.nersc.gov/pydap/cpmmjo/data4bmapes/wrfidv_d01_2011-11-01_01.nc

netcdf-java is failing when it tries to read a string-valued variable. this is
happening in the java-opendap code, my guess is that there is a bug in pydap or
java-opendap for deserializing strings.

it doesnt happen on the other dataset because that one doesnt have a string.

dennis, im going to toss this one to you to see if pydap or java-opendap is not
following the spec.