[netCDFJava #DAC-685688]: local BUFR tables

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Below is information on how you register user supplied BUFR tables with
netCDF-Java and the IDV. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with BUFR and
our BUFR code to know how those tables are associated with a particular
dataset. And I can't ask John (aka Mr. GRIB/BUFR) as he is on vacation for
another two weeks or so.

So, if the following doesn't seem to work, let us know and we can take a closer
look and try to figure it out.

The netCDF-Java library can be told to load user specified BUFR tables as
described here

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/RuntimeLoading.html

About half way down the page is a "Register a BUFR Table Lookup" section
followed by an "XML Configuration" section. In the BUFR section, the link to
more details is broken but I found the page here

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/bufr/

I just talked to the IDV guys and it sounds like the IDV looks for an
njConfig.xml file in the $HOME/.unidata directory. Here's a sample file (mostly
commented out) from the IDV gitHub repository:

https://github.com/Unidata/IDV/blob/master/src/ucar/unidata/idv/resources/njConfig.xml

Hope that helps,

Ethan

Tom Whittaker wrote:
> Hi guys...
>
> I have a user who has a BUFR file with associated B and D tables (I
> have no idea what that means...my knowledge of BUFR stops at being
> able to just type "BUFR")...how does he go about "associating" (or
> whatever it is called) these tables with the file when it is opened
> (using the IDV or McV)?
>
> Thanks for you help/guidance/etc.
>
> tom
>
> --
> Tom Whittaker
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Space Science & Engineering Center (SSEC)
> Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS)

Ticket ID: DAC-685688
Department: Support netCDF Java