[netCDF #TWY-871356]: License question

Hi Andrew,

> We have downloaded NetCDF binary distributions (Windows and Linux)
> from the following location.
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_1/index.jsp
>
> This is because we are evaluating the use of NetCDF format in our software.
>
> However these binary distributions do not come with any statement
> on licensing. Can you tell me under what license the binaries are
> distributed? I am assuming as as there is no license attached to the
> download, then they are effectively public domain. Is this the case?

No, it is our intention to have all netCDF software covered by the same
license as the source distributions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/copyright.html

If the copyright notice is not included in a binary distribution, that's
an inadvertent omission on our part.

--Russ

Ticket ID: TWY-871356
Department: Support netCDF