[netCDF #IWZ-281549]: netcdf 4.2 soname bump

By the way, thanks for pointing out the ABI compliance checker, it looks like a
tool I should be
using to evaluate changes to the libtool version info, instead of doing it
manually, as I did for
4.2-rc1.

--Russ

> Hi Orion,
>
> > The soname version was bumped in 4.2-rc1 to 8.  Why?  It appears that it is
> > completely compatible with version 4.1.3 as shown by the attached report.
>
> I actually changed it back to 7.1.1 earlier today in our snapshot release
> (coincidentally
> a little before you sent your question), because we decided to disable the
> diskless file
> implementation, which was not finished and not ready for prime time.  To
> support
> diskless files, a new constant had been defined in netcdf.h, NC_DISKLESS, as
> a flag to
> nc_create(), which we thought had changed the interface to that function,
> requiring
> bumping the soname version.
>
> I may have been misinterpreting the meaning of "interface change", but it
> seems that
> with the 4.2-rc1 library, you could write code that wouldn't link with a
> 4.1.3 library,
> due to the addition of the new mode flag.  In any case, you'll find that
> constant gone
> in the current snapshot and the next release.
>
> --Russ
>

> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: IWZ-281549
Department: Support netCDF