[netCDF #HJL-431391]: Problems installing NetCDF-3.6.2 on Linux

Hi Elena,

> I'm trying to install netCDF-3.6.2 into a Linux(i686, Ubuntu 11.04)
> operating system but I found the problem  " fatal error: ac_nonexistent.h: No
> such file or directory" that I think is causing the not installation of the
> libraries. Do you have any suggestion about how can I solve this?

This specific problem was fixed in netcdf-3.6.3 and all subsequent versions, by
inserting the statement

  #include <cstring>

in the file cxx/ncvalues.cpp.  Another solution is to build without the old
C++ API that's in that distribution, by setting the environment variable
CXX='' to indicate you don't want the C++ interface built (it's not used by
anything else in the netcdf distribution, so you only need it if you have
C++ programs calling it).

But maybe you just need to update to a more recent version of netCDF than 3.6.2,
which was released in March, 2007.  The current release is 4.1.3, which you can
build using the "--disable-netcdf-4" and "disable-dap" options to configure if
you
just want a netCDF-3 library without netCDF-4 enhancements and without remote
access client support through OPeNDAP protocols, but with all the bug fixes
since
2007.

More information from a user installing netCDF-3.6.2 for Ubuntu from source is
here:

  http://www.johnny-lin.com/py_pkgs/qtcm/doc/html/node3.html

You can also use Ubuntu package managers such as apt-get to install a binary
netCDF
distribution without building from source.

--Russ

> I attach the "config.log", and the out-put of the "make check" and "make
> install".
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Best Regards,
> Elena