[McIDAS #AKF-916378]: Open Archive & GEOARC for FY2G Imagery

Hi Sohail,

re:
> I have applied for the registration to access the FY2G data.
>
> 1. I registered thorough following page
> https://mcfetch.ssec.wisc.edu/#register
>
> 2. I got a key and download the AREA files from their server using the
> following mcfetch https://mcfetch.ssec.wisc.edu link.

Did you go through the MCFETCH tutorial?

You say that you downloaded "AREA files from their server".  Did you
actually download imagery in AREA file format?  If yes, then you will
need to setup a local ADDE dataset to access the imagery in those
files.  You've done this before...

re:
> The data i am getting is of the following type. Files are attached (just
> few of them are attached). If you look into the contents of the data its
> like
>
> ERROR: LOGON in progress...
> LOGON to McIDAS-X completed.
>
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> ALL                          ARCSERV2.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done
>
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> A                            <LOCAL-DATA>
> ALL                          ARCSERV2.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done
>
> Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
> ------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
> A/A                      IMAGE AREA 1-9999
> dsserve.k: done
> imgcopy.k:
> imgcopy.k:  Invalid parameter specified for Band
> imgcopy.k:   Range Beginning value outside min/max bounds -->9164
> imgcopy.k: done

The files you attached are all ASCII text and they all tell of
errors.

re:
> 1. Can you please guide me how to use it?

If you downloaded imagery in AREA file format, the following applies:

- where did you put the AREA files that you downloaded?

- let's assume that you downloaded several AREA files and put them
  in your /home/mcidas/workdata/FY2G directory

  You would then create an ADDE dataset for these images.  The first
  question is how these files are named?  If they have the long standing
  AREAnnn naming convention (e.g., AREA0001 ... AREA9999), then you
  could create a local dataset to access the images as follows:

  DSSERVE ADD FY2G/BAND01 AREA DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/FY2G/AREA* "FY2G
band 1 imagery from the SSEC Data Center

- assuming the last step, you would then access the imagery using standard
  McIDAS IMG* commands.  For example:

  IMGLIST FY2G/BAND01

  IMGLIST FY2G/BAND01.ALL

  IMGLIST FY2G/BAND01 FORM=ALL

  etc.

re:
> 2. I select AREA format to download the data, So whether it is AREA format
> data?

The files you attached are definitely not imagery, and they are definitely
not in AREA file format.

re:
> 3. i used the DATALOC ADD A ARCSERV2.SSEC.WISC.EDU command to access the
> FY2G data, but no data available.

Remember that when you download imagery to your own system, you need
to setup your own ADDE dataset to access the imagery.  You have done
this before...

re:
> 5. Can you please give me some step by step procedure to get the proper
> AREA format from this server.

The MCFETCH tutorial is the place to look for information on how to
download imagery in AREA format.  Since I did not develop MCFETCH,
I am not the best one to answer this question.

re:
> I have an API key, if you can test it and check the process.

<snip>

> You can use this link https://mcfetch.ssec.wisc.edu to download any image
> or you can use a shell script that can download AREA format images for you.

Is this what you did?  If yes, what were the results?

Ticket ID: AKF-916378
Department: Support McIDAS