[McIDAS #CUD-295191]: GOES-16 Data

Hi Fred,

re:
> I have the existing ERAU product suite working on GOES-16 data. I have
> started working
> on new products.  The first new product is a color day/night product.  The
> preliminary
> US product can be viewed at:
>
> http://wx.erau.edu/get_loop.php?cnt=60&dir=sat_erau%2Fdevel%2FVISFOG2%2FUS
>
> The preliminary Colorado product can be seen at:
>
> http://wx.erau.edu/get_loop.php?cnt=60&dir=sat_erau%2Fdevel%2FVISFOG2%2FDEN

Interesting!  Thanks for the URLs.

re:
> I still need to develop a Rayleigh scattering correction for the blue channel.

OK.

re:
> I have two basic questions.
>
> 1. Will the ADDE name change when the satellite is moved into the east
> location?  The
> current conus red channel is RTGOESR/CONUSC02.  Will the new name be
> RTGOESR/CONUSE02?

Our GOES-16 ADDE dataset names will stay the same as they are now on our
motherlode
class server, lead.unidata.ucar.edu.  ADDE serving of the GOES-16 imagery will
be
extended to more motherlode class data servers at some point in the future.

FYI:

I changed our ADDE dataset names to better match what SSEC is calling their
GOES-16
datasets, at least for the descriptor part of the name.  SSEC is using the
following
descriptor names:

CONUS
FD
M1
M2
ALL

We support each of these except ALL, but I'm still debating on whether or not to
add that one.  I also decided to keep the descriptor sets for individual
wavelength
channels as the images get served from those faster than from the larger sets
like CONUS, FD, etc. where one has to include the BAND= keyword to select the
band of choice.

re:
> 2. In monitoring the long 60 image loops I have noticed several instances of
> missing
> data.  Yesterday afternoon around 21:30Z there was a large data outage
> impacting
> all channels.  Other times there are spotty outages impacting only one
> channel.

They are still running system tests, so missing/incomplete images are par for
the course.  This, of course, is out of our control.

re:
> Is this a problem with the satellite communications?

We see problems in the signals from both our and SSEC's GOES-R downlinks.  The
GOES-16 datasets being made available by ADDE are the union of the output of
CSPP GEO run on the feed from our dish and the feed from SSEC.  We are hoping
to eventually find one or two more sites that have GOES-16 dowlinks and convince
them to share their feed so that the the data that is being made available has
the greatest chance of being error free as possible.  Having multiple,
geographically
dispersed ingest sites mirrors what we do for NOAAPort ingest, and it insures
that data lost during the twice per year outages caused by solar interference
at one site does not cause the loss of the imagery for that will be relayed
in the IDD.

re:
> Looking at the satellite
> pictures around these outages, it appears that there is weather around the
> Maryland
> area.  Is the X band communications causing the problems, so this is
> something that
> will continue into the future?

Unknown, and unknown.  Again this is completely out of our control.

re:
> I have been thinking about putting in a routine that
> fills in any missing data with the time period before.  Then the loops will
> show a
> brief pause in the data rather than a big flash of no data.

This sounds like a good idea.

Ticket ID: CUD-295191
Department: Support McIDAS