[McIDAS #RJO-596744]: installing mcidas

Hi Sepide,

re:
> I want to install mcidas on my computer.
> Can you please help me on the procedure?
> I have linux.

The procedure is the same as we worked through some time ago:

- register with the Unidata website so you can download the
  Unidata McIDAS distribution

- create the user accounts 'mcidas' and 'mcadde' on your Linux
  machine

  NB: make the 'mcadde' account a non-login account and set
  its HOME directory to be the same as the user 'mcidas'

- login as the user 'mcidas'

- download the current Unidata McIDAS release, v2009f (soon to be
  v2009g); the file is mcidasx2009.tar.gz.

  Download the McIDAS unpacking routine 'mcunpack'

- set the environment variable McINST_ROOT to be the HOME directory
  for the user 'mcidas'.  For instance for those using the C Shell:

  setenv McINST_ROOT /home/mcidas

- unpack the Unidata McIDAS distribution:

  cd ~mcidas
  chmod +x mcunpack
  ./mcunpack

- build the distribution:

  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
  make

At this point, you may learn that you need to install one or more packages
on your system that McIDAS needs (e.g., ncurses-devel, flex, libXt, etc.).
The easiest thing to do is to run 'make' and see what, if anything, fails.

Please do the above and let me know how the build went.  We can talk about
installing and configuring McIDAS after your build completes with no errors.

Ticket ID: RJO-596744
Department: Support McIDAS