[McIDAS #NAY-374798]: McIDAS download

Hi John,

re:
> I am interested in downloading McIDAS to view GOES 10-bit GVAR data.  I
> would like to convert the GVAR data into calibrated radiance to use for
> potential vicarious calibration of other satellite data.  I have a
> couple of questions:
>
> I've read that the McIDAS software is freely available to educational
> institutions.

Through Unidata, yes.

> Can I download and use the software as an employee of a
> national laboratory?

Unfortunately, our license with the developers of McIDAS, the Space Science and
Engineering Center (SSEC) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison does not permit
us to distribute McIDAS to non-educational sites _unless_ they are members in
good
standing of the McIDAS Users Group (MUG) operated by UW/SSEC.  Joining the MUG
involves a fee, however.  For more information on joining the MUG, please refer
to the SSEC McIDAS pages:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas

> If so, Does McIDAS read in GOES GVAR 10-bit data and is it able to
> output it into a common file format that I can use by other programs?

McIDAS can convert from GVAR formats (raw format ingested on their SDI systems
or McIDAS AREA) to netCDF.  A separate McIDAS application, AXFORM, can output
the image data values into either ASCII or binary formats and create associated
files of Lat,Lon position values.

> Thanks for your help in this matter.

No worries.

Ticket ID: NAY-374798