20060626: survey of platform use for McIDAS (cont.)

>From: "Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden>

Hi Kwan,

re: machine(s) being used for McIDAS
>The 'uname -a' result here at CCNY is
>
>SunOS halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu 5.8 Generic_108529-18 i86pc
>i386 i86pc
>
>It is a dual-processor DELL PowerEdge 2500 running Solaris
>5.8.  I have just downloaded and installed McIDAS2005d.

Very good.  Thank you for the information!

> Will there be a McIDAS2006 soon to appear this summer?

I am working on the release as we speak.  I have made the initial cut
at putting together the Unidata distribution.  Now I need to
incorporate new Unidata-added features, and exercise the code on the
variety of platforms that I support.  After that, I will need to
convert the SSEC McIDAS documentation into a version that matches the
Unidata release.  This entire process is quite time consuming, so I can
not promise a new distribution before late July.

There is, however, a possibility of letting eager users have access to
a pre-release distribution with the understanding that code
modifications are likely to be made, and documentation matching the
release will not be available initially.  Please let me know if you are
interested.