19990924: mcidas or ldm not freeing disk space

>From: address@hidden

Bill,

>A few weeks ago I installed latest releases of both mcidas
>and ldm on cirrus.smsu.edu, running AIX 4.2.0.  ldm needed
>a local make from source.
>
>The past couple of weeks, we run out of disk space after a week
>or two....we scour in both ldm and mcidas, but the reclaimed
>blocks from the scoured files are not being recovered by the
>operating system.
>
>For example:  this overnight we ran out of disk.  Checking this
>morning with
>df -k
>   gave /wd1 as 100% full (651264 1k blocks on this partition)
>
>the only subdirectory is /wd1/mcidas
>cd /wd1/mcidas
>du -sk
>392156 1k blocks used....the difference is in limbo.
>
>reboot
>
>df -k
>
>/wd1  230568 1k blocks free.
>
>I guess I can reboot every couple days....perhaps trying an
>installation of AIX 4.3 is in order, but I just wanted to see
>if you'd run into this.  Couldn't find anything obvious in
>the support archives for ldm or mcidas.

We have not seen this here at Unidata.  Does the same sort of thing
happen when you remove files "by hand" (i.e. by running 'rm')?
Some of the McIDAS scouring routines actually run 'rm (e.g. delwxt.k)
while others rely on operating system services.

Is your 4.2 installation up to date as far as patches go?

This might be a good question to send out to the mcidas-x and/or
ldm-users email list.  Perhaps some other site has run into the
same problem and never let us know.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Fri Sep 24 09:47:26 1999

Thanks Tom....I'll try some of that rm stuff.

Bill