19990923: Will New SCHEMAS run under 7.4?

>From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>

Jennie,

First, to answer your subject line question:  No, the new schemas need
updated XCD versions which means that McIDAS-XCD should be upgraded in
lockstep with McIDAS-X.

re: upgrade McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD in lock step
>Then, because I noted I wanted to keep running 7.4, you said:

re: list of recommendations
>Did all this
>
>>   make install.all     <-- this installs under /home/mcidas/mcidas76
>
>Haven't done this yet, but looked at makefile, and install.all doesn't
>seem to be an option??  did you mean something else?

No.  make install.all _is_ an option.  It was apparently left out
of the information header in 'makefile', but it is there.  The
end of makefile shows the various options:

#-------
# miscellaneous dependencies
#-------

install.mcx      :: env
install.mcx      :: install.bin       install.help      install.data
install.mcx      :: install.scripts   install.admin
install.mcx      :: install.tcl       install.mcwish    install.gui
install.mcxall   :: install.mcx
install.mcxall   :: install.inc       install.lib       install.man

uninstall.mcx    :: env
uninstall.mcx    :: uninstall.bin     uninstall.help    uninstall.data
uninstall.mcx    :: uninstall.scripts uninstall.admin
uninstall.mcx    :: uninstall.tcl     uninstall.mcwish  uninstall.gui
uninstall.mcxall :: uninstall.mcx
uninstall.mcxall :: uninstall.inc     uninstall.lib     uninstall.man

install.xcd      :: install.xcdbin    install.xcdhelp   install.xcddata
install.xcdall   :: install.xcd       install.xcdinc    install.xcdlib

uninstall.xcd    :: uninstall.xcdbin  uninstall.xcdhelp uninstall.xcddata
uninstall.xcdall :: uninstall.xcd     uninstall.inc     uninstall.xcdlib

install           : install.mcx
install.mcxxcd    : install.mcx       install.xcd
install.all       : install.mcxall    install.xcdall

uninstall         : uninstall.mcx
uninstall.mcxxcd  : uninstall.mcx     uninstall.xcd
uninstall.all     : uninstall.mcxall  uninstall.xcdall

In this list you can see that install.all is actually an install.mcxall
and an install.xcdall.

>But anyway, the main reason I paused is this:  If I install the
>new McIDAS, and it needs a new version of ldm-mcidas, which
>uses new SCHEMA, then won't my old version of mcidas (7.4) stop
>working with the real-time (ie., incoming, ldm-decoded) data?
>Incompatible SCHEMAS??

Actually, the new ldm-mcidas needs to be linked against the new version
of McIDAS-X, not the other way around.  This is, of course, if you decide
to build ldm-mcidas from source and not use the binaries that are
available.

If you install the new McIDAS-X and XCD then they will use the new schemas.
In this transition, you will have to either delete existing MD files for
the day in which the installation is done and switchover made, or
you will have to do the installation/switchover at 0Z so new MD files
will not have been created yet.  The big change in the schemas is in
the DAY keys.  In old schema, DAY was specified in units SYD which
is SSYYDDD.  Here SS could be the sensor source for imagery, but it has
not been used in quite a long time, so the effective format was YYDDD.
The new schemas specify DAY to be in units of CYD which is CCYYDDD.
This is the Y2K compatible stuff.

>Before I create this problem,
>I am trying to figure out if I can REALLY have two versions
>running...maybe its different for you since you might not be
>working with the real-time datastream when you test things out??

McIDAS-X 7.60 routines will work with MD files that use the old schema.
If you install 7.60 and do not overwrite the 7.40 stuff (like SCHEMA)
and you keep using 7.40 XCD routines, then everything should continue
to work.  You will, however, have to upgrade to use of 7.60 XCD
before the end of the year.

>I appreciate the hand-holding.  Just proceeding cautiously,
>trying to keep the wv stuff from breaking, especially since
>several people asked for the URL to look at the
>real-time specific-humidity after the NESDIS meeting, which seemed
>to go well.

The great majority of the Y2K mods are in the MD file stuff.  Your
water vapor processing should continue to work.  I can't guarantee
this, however, since I don't know all of what you are actually doing
(the ole cover your butt response :-).