19990119: possible ADDE server to MSFC

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

Good to see you in Dallas.

>At the Unidata workshop you pointed out a server at MSFC,
>cyclone.msfc.nasa.gov
>that had GMS, METEOSAT, and GOES8/10 15 min data.  I am doing a modeling
>study(balloon performance) for Sweden and retreived METEOSAT images in
>McIDAS format from the site...extremely useful.  This is a pain to get the
>file and then uncompress it.  You mentioned that you were trying to get
>them to allow use of the data via a McIDAS ADDE server.  Any update on that?

There are a couple of things that need to happen before this could be
a possibility:

o develop ADDE subservers that don't care about McIDAS naming conventions
  and can understand compressed/uncompressed McIDAS formats
o convince NASA/MSFC that running an ADDE server on their machine would
  not present significant problems

The first item is on my list of things that I want to do.  The second
is in limbo.

Tom