[LDM #HIQ-639816]: Question about pqinsert

Hi Gilbert,

> I got a message from someone I know, and he writes:
>
> "I successfully got our NCEP fiber feed working in EDEX. Only issue is that
> it requires me to decompress the product with a PIPE so the only way to get
> LDM to process it is with a pqinsert and a EXP FILE -edex action, so the
> file actually gets written twice. It would be nice if either 1) pqinsert
> supported STDIN or 2) the FILE action supported some sort of flag that told
> LDM to not write if the file exists."
>
> Does either of this already happened in the LDM that I am not aware about?

No.

pqinsert(1) doesn't support reading from standard input because it needs to
know the size of the file in order to create an LDM data-product. It can get
this information from the operating system for a regular file, but not from
standard input without reading all of standard input into a temporary file. It
would then have to read the file back in to create the data-product.

The "don't overwrite an existing file" is an interesting concept. I don't see
it's connection with the use-case you outlined, however. Can you describe that
use-case in more detail?

--Steve

Regards,
Steve Emmerson