[LDM #GTG-351701]: Updating from ldm-6.7.0 to ldm-6.13.6

Mike,

> I installed the old version a long time ago,
> maybe 2008 or so, and I think I messed it up a bit. The logs
> have never worked right. More recently, we are having problems
> with providing some VOG data (Steven Businger's project) to our
> local NWS office. We receive from them OK, but they can't
> receive from us.

They might not be able to establish a TCP connection to your LDM. They can
verify this via the command "telnet <<your_LDM's_hostname>> 388".

> I thought this would be a good time to redo the
> installation with the latest-greatest version of LDM available,
> get the logging to work correctly, and hope that the feed to our
> NWS office would be OK with a clean installation.
>
> Please let me know if you think I am taking the wrong approach.

That's the right approach. Just make sure that you understand and follow
the installation and configuration instructions at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/

> Otherwise, my question is:  What is the best way to install,
> configure, and test the new version without disturbing the old
> installation until we are ready to cut over? I am hoping we
> can do this on the same server on which the old version is running.

The LDM package is designed so that it can be installed in a sibling
directory of an existing LDM installation. For example, if an existing
installation directory is "~ldm/ldm-6.10.0", then the latest LDM would be
installed in "~ldm/ldm-6.13.6". When all is ready, the running LDM can be
switched from the old one to the new one by stopping the LDM, changing the
"runtime" symbolic link in the LDM user's home-directory, and re-starting
the LDM. Similarly, it's easy to revert to the previous version if the new
one doesn't work.

Just be sure to read, understand, and follow the installation and
configuration instructions.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GTG-351701