[LDM #NVP-211237]: LDM help: "NOTE: Denying connection from [*********] because too many clients."

Derek,

> We have been seeing many of the:
>
> "NOTE: Denying connection from...  ...because too many clients"
>
> messages in our ldmd.log files.
>
> Currently we have our $max_clients set to *512.*

That's more than we run. Of course we split the connections amongst 6
backend servers.

> When I run an ldmadmin printmetrics
>
> ldm@vm-lnx-mrms-ldmouta ~/logs]$ ldmadmin printmetrics
> 20170505.145304 22.83 19.32 17.76 *278* 0 1606 14391 11999017944 3 4 89 4
> 15926720e3 407088e3 535676e3 7697280e3 4054
> or a netstat:
>
> netstat -a | awk 'NR<=2 || /ldm/'|wc -l
> 289
>
> My connection count always appears to be *under 300.*
>
> Couple questions:
> 1.  Is there a reason to think that I am occasionally bumping into the 512
> limit and I should increase the max_clients value, or is there some place
> else we should be investigating?

Your LDM is running into the 512 limit. Hopefully, there's not a bug in the LDM
6.8 code that cause it to think there are more upstream LDMs than actually
exist.

> 2.  Is there a maximum number that the $max_clients value can or should be
> set to?  (is there a performance hit if we allow for too many connections?)

At some point, either performance will degrade to an unacceptable level or the
LDM will hit an operating system limit (e.g., the number of open file
descriptors). Until then, go for it.

> FYI   We are running an antiquated version of LDM  6.8.1

If you upgrade your LDM, then you can use the new utility uldbutil(1) to list
all
the upstream LDM processes on your system that are sending to a remote
downstream
LDM.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson