[LDM #SXI-868914]: Data product maximum size

Hi Leonard,

> We're running LDM 6.10.1 on a mix of Linux CentOS 5 and 6 systems. All
> are 64-bit.  Builds were done on the systems the software runs on.  The
> product queues are 5GB.
>
> Upstream has started sending data products (files) that are 2.4GB each.
> Some come through, some do not.
>
> I've seen mention of a 2GB limit in a couple of support tickets. Since
> it is working for some products which are larger than than, I'd like to
> ask what the maximum product size is.

The metadata that accompanies a data-product has a size parameter that's
interpreted as a 32-bit unsigned integer, so the maximum size of a data-product
is (2^32)-1 bytes.

The approximately 2GB limit stems from the type of an "off_t" in the C runtime
library. "off_t"s are used to randomly access the product-queue. On many 32-bit
systems, they are a 32-bit signed integer, in which case the maximum size of
the product-queue is limited to (2^31)-1 bytes. Because you have a 64-bit
system, this doesn't apply and you shouldn't have any problems sending (2^32)-1
byte products.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> ==Leonard E. Sitongia