[IDV #QBL-919108]: Issues with using IDV

> Good morning,
> I am Simone Di Bari a student trying to learn to use your software to
> correctly display oceanographic data. I am trying to understand what is
> possible to do in terms of displays to see if your software meets my needs
> and if I could potentially use it for my papers and to suggest it to the
> company that I am be collaborating with.
>
> I think your software has a lot of functionalities and I am struggling in
> what probably is the simplest of tasks, importing and displaying data. I was
> able to make a sample of the data that I am trying to import in a netCDF file.
>
> If possible, it would be great for me to schedule a short zoom session to
> maybe discuss and see some options of your software. If not, I have these
> issues at the moment and if you could help me with them, it would be great:

I think it is easier to discuss the following questions in a ZOOM meeting, you
can set up a meeting in your late afternoon or evening time,  and send me the
link.  If you have other
students interested in learning the software they can join us too.

Yuan

> 1.  It seems like the background map has a really low quality. I am trying to
> display data over the Mediterranean Sea, is the only way to improve this to
> import an image of my own?
> 2.  When importing the file all the variable names go missing. It does create
> a file listing the correspondence. I was wondering if there was a way to tell
> the software what variable is which. For example I thought I could create
> potentially a 3D graphs by using the depth instead of the altitude, is that
> possible?
> 3.  After importing the data as a netCDF point file, it lets me select a
> variable and make a display of it. How can I display a variable from all
> different times together? Or make it to do 10 years steps for example?
> 4.  After importing the data and even if it shows single time steps, it still
> displays nothing. I was expecting for it to display a color filled contour
> plan view but there is onyl one small box instead of many that should cover a
> greater area.
> 5.  Moreover, I would be interested in making an average of the points every
> 30 years, is there a way to do so? To make it more clear I am trying to
> obtain a map like the one attached but in much smaller areas.
>

> Thank you very much,
> Simone Di Bari
>

> [Meteo: Mediterraneo BOLLE come mare TROPICALE, ESTATE 2018 con fenomeni
> ESTREMI, AUTUNNO-INVERNO caldi » ILMETEO.it]

Ticket ID: QBL-919108
Department: Support IDV