[IDV #PNW-510251]: NOAA Profiler Plots

> Hi Yuan,
> Thanks for your quick response. I am a relatively new user to the IDV so this
> may be a silly question, but what is the CDM data model? Are those options
> only something that could be done by you and the IDV team, or is this
> something that I could implement? I would imagine then that I cannot convert
> the local file into a usable format somehow.
>
> Laura

Laura,
    The CDM is one of the libraries used in the IDV, and is developed in the
Unidata, and you can find more detail information in our unidata web page:
"http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/";. If you are a good Java
developer, you can help to add this dataset into this library. So the dataset
is recognize as profiler feature datatype, and can be added to the IDV. The
ADDE server is developed outside Unidata, here is the link:
"http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/prog_man/2003/servers-3.html";. There is
some works can be done by you, and some work need to be in house. I don;t think
the convert the file should be in your consideration here.

Yuan

> > Full Name: Laura Landry
> > Email Address: address@hidden
> > Package Version: 2.9
> > Operating System: Windows XP
> > Hardware:
> > Description of problem:
> >
> > Does IDV have the capability to display wind profiler data from the NOAA
> > MADIS Cooperative Agency Profilers (CAP) network?
> >
> > I see it can already display the NOAA Profiler Network (NPN) and I
> > have tried to open a netCDF file (attached) downloaded from MADIS with
> > no success.
> >
> > I really enjoy IDV's NPN displays. They are very aesthetically pleasing
> > so any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> Laura,
> The current version IDV can not display the attached file. The IDV can only
> display the NPN data through the ADDE server, not the local file. There are
> two different ways to work with these profiler datasets in the IDV, one is
> through the ADDE server, another is CDM (and/or TDS). In order to display the
> CAP or NPN data, you need pick one way to work with. I personally would
> prefer the second option, which is to add the CAP and NPN to the CDM data
> model, then we can add the profiler feature in the IDV. Either way will
> require some works to be done, and it probably will not happen in the near
> future.
>
> Yuan
> >

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: PNW-510251