[IDV #INW-163820]: NetCDF CF time codes

> Full Name: ernest sessa
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.9
> Operating System: RHEL 5
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: We are in the process of converting the NMQ 3d mosaic
> out put to NetCDF CF to be displayed on the IDV.  In order for the IDV to
> rcognize the timestamps of the individual frames so that the frames can be
> animated, where and in what format should the time be included in the NetCDF
> CF file?  I have included on such frame as currently converted.

Ernest,
       The basic idea for a single time step netCDF file is to add a time
dimension and a variable to
associate with this dimension, this dimension length is one and the variable
can be a scalar, one of the
attribute should be _CoordinateAxisType with value equal "Time". If you have
any question about the
standard of the netCDF file, please send your question to address@hidden.
       The other option is to use ncml to modify your netCDF file, and the IDV
can display this ncml file
as if it has a time dimension.
       But for the better pratice of standard netCDF, you should consider the
first option.

Yuan

Ticket ID: INW-163820
Department: Support IDV