[IDV #DSN-496768]: IDV not generating aerological profiles (soundings)

Hi Simon-

The grid sounding subsystem assumes that the vertical dimension is pressure and
that's how it gets the pressure for the sounding.  Would you upload a sample
file to:

and I'll take a look to see if there is any quick thing we can do to accomodate
your files.

Don Murray

> Full Name: Simon Metcalf
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.7u2\jre version: 1.6.0_13
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: I can't get IDV to generate an aerological profile
> (sounding) diagram for data from a local scale meteorological and dispersion
> model I am using.  In fact, it won't calculate any of the derived functions
> using data from this model.  I have set up the appropriate aliases so that
> the Sounding Data functions are available in the list of derrived functions.
> I have successfully managed to create profiles using an alternative model.
> One aspect to note is that in this model the vertical coordinate system is in
> metres rather than pressure however the model does have a 4D pressure field
> for calculations where pressure is required and it is successfully
> recognising pressure in the list of derived functions, so I don't think the
> vertical coordinate system is the problem.  A quick glance at the reveals
> something about the temperature units.  This model stores temperature in
> Degrees Celsius rather than Kelvin like most models.  If this is a problem do
> I have to
  convert the units in the Temperature field first?

> Creating display: Grid Skew-T
> org.python.core.PyException
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> at ucar.visad.Util.vetType(Util.java:256)
>
> at
> ucar.visad.quantities.SaturationVaporPressure.create(SaturationVaporPressure.java:346)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.makeDewpointFromTAndRH(DerivedGridFactory.java:1561)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.createDewpoint(DerivedGridFactory.java:1520)

> visad.TypeException: visad.TypeException: MathType of data object
> (((Longitude, Latitude, Altitude) -> temp[unit:degrees_C])) is incompatible
> with required MathType (Temperature)
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> at ucar.visad.Util.vetType(Util.java:256)
>
> at
> ucar.visad.quantities.SaturationVaporPressure.create(SaturationVaporPressure.java:346)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.makeDewpointFromTAndRH(DerivedGridFactory.java:1561)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.createDewpoint(DerivedGridFactory.java:1520)

> visad.TypeException: visad.TypeException: MathType of data object
> (((Longitude, Latitude, Altitude) -> temp[unit:degrees_C])) is incompatible
> with required MathType (Temperature)

Ticket ID: DSN-496768
Department: Support IDV