[IDD #QRQ-873801]: NEXRAD3 products

Hi,

re:
> Yes.  I'm referring to the level3 (NEXRAD3) products.  We noticed a drastic
> decline at
> about 1250Z.  And the stats sites have now reappeared for me showing a large
> drop at
> about 13Z for NEXRAD3.  We're trying to figure out if this was from source or
> something
> on our side.

The latency plot for unidata1.cmc.ec.gc.ca shows what appears to be a network
outage/hiccup/problem around the time you are referring to:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?NEXRAD3+unidata1.cmc.ec.gc.ca

Since unidata1.cmc.ec.gc.ca feeds NEXRAD3 from our primary top level IDD
relay cluster, idd.unidata.ucar.edu:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_topo_nc?NEXRAD3+unidata1.cmc.ec.gc.ca

the question boils down to whether or not there was a marked decrease in NEXRAD3
products, or if the network latency was the sole cause of the decrease you
are investigating.  A check of a randomly selected real server back end
of the idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster (uni18.unidata.ucar.edu) does not show
a decrease in NEXRAD3 products:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NEXRAD3+uni18.unidata.ucar.edu

it is safe to assume that the network event that is shown in the latency
plot above was the cause for your decrease in NEXRAD3 products.  What
caused this network event can not be ascertained from the real time
stats plots, but I can say that other machines that are feeding NEXRAD3
from idd.unidata.ucar.edu did not see the same decrease in products as
you.  Here is one example:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NEXRAD3+chinook.unl.edu

The fact that the NEXRAD3 volume plot from chinook.unl.edu exactly matches
the volume plot from the randomly chosen real server back end machine
above, uni18.unidata.ucar.edu, shows that there was no systematic
problem with the NEXRAD3 feed from idd.unidata.ucar.edu.  I would
interpret this to mean that your problem was likely caused closer
to your machine than to us.

Ticket ID: QRQ-873801
Department: Support IDD