[LDM #VIU-792449]: How to find incoming direct radiation data

> Hello Jeff

Hi Wonsook,

> Thank you very much for your email. Although there is no incoming direct
> radiation, I find out that the good news is I can still get what I need from
> Unidata. The reason I originally asked about incoming direct radiation is to
> calculate net incoming solar radiation (Rn). But, another way to calculate
> this Rn is using other four radiation products, i.e. incoming shortwave and
> longwave radiation at the surface (DSWRF, DLWRF) & outgoing shortwave and
> longwave radiation at the surface (USWRF, ULWRF). Those were found at
>
> http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/GRIB2Table_GSDrap_2d.txt
>
> (This is the website you provided!)

Yes, these parameters are generated for the model output, but I am NOT seeing
them being transmitted. My thought is that they are used for other "derived"
parameters, such as CAPE and CINS. I "sniffed" the feed of NCEP model output
and did not find any radiation fields coming over the IDD feed for HRRR, RAP,
GFS, NAM....

I am contacting NOAA GSD, the folks who developed the HRRR, and will see how we
get these radiation fields.

> I have more questions. May I?
>
> 1. Are those data from this website having spatial resolution coarser than 3
> km, I believe? Is it 13 km? If I am wrong, what is the spatial resolutions of
> these products? I read about the resolution somewhere, but couldn't find it
> at Rapid Refresh's homepage at http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/. Are these
> available using NGRID or EXP?

HRRR would be 3km, RAP would be 13km, .25 GFS would be ~28km...

> 2. You mentioned about net shortwave radiation surface (NSWRS). Is that
> product specified for incoming or outgoing? There is the third way to
> calculate Rn is using incoming net shortwave radiation at surface and
> outgoing net longwave radiation at surface. Are you able to find these two as
> well? If abailable which feed provides these two?

Yes, many ways to get to the desired value, but we need to see what is
available.

> 3. I  assume that incoming direct radiation (that I originally look for) is
> same as Rs (incoming total solar radiation). Am I correct? If not, would
> there still be a possibility of having "incoming total solar radiation" from
> Unidata? Have you encountered with this term "incoming total solar radiation"?

I ~believe incoming total solar radiation is both short and long wave
downwelling flux.

> Thank you very much for your help again.

Sorry for the delay, will get back asap regarding how we get the radiation
fields from the HRRR...

> Best,
> Wonsook

Jeff