20050216: DVB-S NOAAport

>From:  Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

re:
>We're just 45 days away from the discontinuation of NOAAPort (1):
>
>THE NOAA NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS DECIDED TO EXTEND
>THE DUAL OPERATIONS OF THE LEGACY NOAAPORT BROADCAST
>AND THE NEW 6 T1 DVB CARRIER BY ONE MONTH.  THE
>LEGACY NOAAPORT CARRIER WILL NOW BE TERMINATED ON
>MARCH 31, 2005.  DUE TO BUDGETARY CONSTRAINTS, DUAL
>OPERATIONS CANNOT BE EXTENDED ANY FURTHER.

Yes, we are well aware of the NWS' plans.

>What's UNIDATA's plan for getting NOAAport 2 and passing on all the new
>data?

We have been participating in the NWS DVB-S test since the first data
began flowing in September of 2003.  We are in the middle to last phase
of testing our DVB-S NOAAPORT ingest system and are confident that the
transition from the current NOAAPORT broadcast to the DVB-S version
will be transparent to most IDD participants.  I say most since there
will be a lot more data that a site can request.  Those looking to
access the new data (e.g., grid 218 model data in GRIB2 format) might
well be affected by increased network bandwidth use.