[Datastream #QOK-427508]: NPS: New "manager", Date problem

Hi Ryan,

My apologies for the tardy reply...

address@hidden> wrote:

> New Client Reply: NPS: New "manager", Date problem
>
> Hi Tom,
> I wanted to follow-up, perhaps with the IDD support email…Not sure if it
> went through on the address@hidden email.

It did, but there have been a LOT of things going on in the past several
days...

re:

> See questions below.

These will be answered from our inquiry tracking system.

re:

> Also, can you please add idd.foggy.nps.edu to your ALLOW list on
> idd.unidata.ucar.edu?

As far as I can tell, this is a VM in AWS, correct?  Here is what I found:

 $ nslookup idd.foggy.nps.edu
Server: 127.0.1.1
Address: 127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: idd.foggy.nps.edu
Address: 18.236.13.104
Name: idd.foggy.nps.edu
Address: 52.38.107.188

mcidas@odroidU3:~/Documents$ nslookup 52.38.107.188
Server: 127.0.1.1
Address: 127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
188.107.38.52.in-addr.arpa name =
ec2-52-38-107-188.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com.

So, there is forward DNS (name -> IP), but no reverse DNS (IP -> name).  In
order to
ALLOW you we added an entry to our hosts file that defines your machine's
IP address
as the name you specified.  This approach is "brittle" as it will stop
working if the IP
address of your VM changes.  It would be much better if reverse DNS was
setup for
your machine such that the IP address is globally known as idd.foggy.nps.edu.
In
the interim, you should be ready to go, but you should check as follows:

<as 'ldm' on your machine>
notifyme -vl- -f ANY -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

> . Thanks!
> Best regards,
> Ryan/Mark
>
> --
> Ryan Yamaguchi
> Faculty Associate - Research
> Department of Meteorology
> Naval Postgraduate School
> 589 Dyer Road, Room 259
> Monterey, CA 93943
> Office: (831) 656-7645 DSN: 756-7645
> Cell: (831) 682-5159
>

> From: "Boothe, Mark (CIV)" <address@hidden>
> Date: Friday, September 6, 2019 at 2:02 PM
> To: "Yamaguchi, Ryan (CIV)" <address@hidden>, "
> address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Datastream #QOK-427508]: NPS: New "manager", Date problem
>
> Hello Tom,
>
> Here at the Naval Postgraduate School, Ryan and I have been coordinating
> with our local IT folks as we prepare the transition of our LDM feed from a
> set of on-site linux machines to AWS.
>
> Thanks for your previous message pointing out the RTSTATS link.  That
> gives a good depiction of the data stream.
>
> Do you have any suggestions as we spin up an AWS instance?  For instance:
>
> Is there a preferred OS (i.e.: Amazon linux, Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, etc.)?
> What other specifications (i.e. memory, computing power, etc.)?
> How do we inform you of our new AWS instance?
> We currently receive our data via the University of Washington. Would this
> continue with a new AWS instance, or would we connect directly with the IDD?
> Is there a particular data stream that serves as a good initial test?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Boothe and Ryan Yamaguchi
> Naval Postgraduate School
> Monterey CA 93943

* Tom Yoksas                                      UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                           P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                            Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ *