[AWIPS #UET-511766]: AWIPS II Home Installment

> Hi, I'm looking into purchasing a server and running awips 2 in my home
> office. I have spoken to a few colleagues who have told me that this could
> be potentially very labor intensive (something I'm OK with because I love
> random projects). Assuming I have the right hardware (Red Hat, dedicated
> server, etc.), would this be feasible or should I stick to IDV?
>
> -Andrew Schwartz

Hi Andrew,

Both EDEX and CAVE are fairly straightforward to install and use, as long as
the hardware and software requirements are met, meaning x86_64 RHEL/CentOS 6,
OpenGL 2 capable graphics card, 8+ GB memory (EDEX) and 4+ CPU cores (EDEX).
A big caveat is that installing EDEX at home will require you to arrange your
own data access, to pull in live data via LDM, which of course will take a lot
of your bandwidth if you're ingesting high volume feeds such as NEXRAD3 and
CONDUIT.

The instructions for installing are at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/doc/install.html

Ticket ID: UET-511766