Are you looking for a way to use both your writing and technical skills? Do you enjoy talking with people doing interesting science, and then explaining what they're doing to others? Keep reading...
The Unidata Communications Internship offers undergraduate and graduate students an opportunity to work with Unidata's community services group to create resources for Unidata's Data Management Resource Center (DMRC). This internship is not about writing code, but a familiarity with scientific software in general will be very helpful. The DMRC project involves explaining how researchers are using software in their scientific workflows and investigating new software tools that might be beneficial in their efforts to effectively manage their data. This means we're looking for students interested in both understanding and explaining how data are used in the scientific process, and and looking for ways to make data management easier.
Unidata is a great place to work. Our relaxed environment and small program size give you the opportunity to benefit from individual mentoring and to build a close working relationship with the technical staff.
Some of the projects you might work on include:
- Interviewing community members to understand their data management workflows and tools.
- Writing DMRC-related content for webpages about technical subjects (e.g. scientific workflows).
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses associated with data management tools in use in the community.
- Assisting with technical documentation for software and services.
- Exploring the technical capabilities of software that might be included in the DMRC.
The schedule for this internship is flexible, with start dates ranging from immediately to the beginning of the summer and working through the summer or through the 2017 fall semester. The work schedule is also flexible and will reflect your goals and availability, although a minimum of 8 hours per week is required.
Initial consideration will be given to applications received prior to March 31st 2017. For additional details or to apply, see the UCAR Job Opportunities site.