[THREDDS #EBO-191519]: Doppler radar data request...

Greetings,

Our THREDDS catalogs only store one month's worth of NEXRAD data, so I
apologize but I don't think you'll be able to find what you need there anymore.

Normally for longer term NEXRAD data I recommend NCEI, but you said you already
tried that.  After taking a look I see what you mean, large chunks of time
where nothing is available for that site.

After taking a look at that data and those dates I have a theory:  I didn't
find any notice from that NWS office regarding an outage, rather I saw notices
that showed the radar was operating.  But since this was during Hurricane Ian,
it's not unlikely that some infrastructure in the area was out of service for a
time, so maybe transmitting that radar data out of the office wasn't possible
periodically; that would explain the large data gaps.

There's another place I can think of you could try, the Google Cloud Nexrad L3
historical archive:
https://console.cloud.google.com/marketplace/details/noaa-public/nexrad-l3

Unfortunately, glancing at the file sizes of the data they have for that site
and dates, I suspect similar gaps will appear in that data as well.  If true
this would further support the theory that data was somehow unable to make it
out of that office for a time if no archive has it.

The last thing I would suggest is to reach out to that office to see if they
have another source or archive for that data.  Their web page is here
(https://www.weather.gov/ilm/) and there is contact info on that page.

Sorry I wasn't able to give you better news but I hope this helps.

Best,
-Mike

> Hello!
>
> I am trying to access Doppler radar data through this link on the website
> (https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/nexrad/level3/DTA/LTX/catalog.html
> ), but I need data for 3 days in late September / early October, which is
> beyond the window available on the website.  I initially tried to retrieve
> this data from the NCEI, but they're missing most of the data I need.
>
> I need the following Doppler data:
>
> *     Data Type:              DTA (level-III. dual pol. Storm total precip)
> *     Doppler site:           LTX (Wilmington, NC)
> *     Dates:                  09/29/22-10/01/22
>
> Is this something that you can provide me access to so that I can view the
> imagery on the NOAA Weather & Climate Toolkit?  I would need the "NIDS"
> files.  I appreciate any assistance you can provide me.
>
> Thank you,

Ticket ID: EBO-191519
Department: Support THREDDS