[THREDDS #CVJ-417284]: TDS 4.6 with CentOS 7

Greetings!

We have used CentOS 7 I believe, but we never use the package manager version
of Tomcat. That should not matter for this issue, however.

I think the key here is that the tds.content.root.path Java System Property
isn't being passed into the JAVA_OPTS variable, and so the TDS cannot find it.
You currently have that property stored in an environmental variable called
CONTENT_ROOT. You could do one of two things.

1) Reference $CONTENT_ROOT when setting JAVA_OPTS:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS $CONTENT_ROOT -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Addresses=true"

2) Skip using the CONTENT_ROOT variable and directly add the Java System
Property to the JAVA_OPTS variable:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dtds.content.root.path=/var/lib/tomcats/ops/content/
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Addresses=true"

Second, I think you will need to explicitly export the JAVA_OPTS variable so
that the CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh has access to it. So, make sure to add

export $JAVA_OPTS

to the end of your setenv.sh file.

Overall, your setenv.sh file might look something like:

--

#!/bin/bash
CONTENT_ROOT="-Dtds.content.root.path=/var/lib/tomcats/ops/content/"
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS $CONTENT_ROOT -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Addresses=true"
export JAVA_OPTS

--

My guess is that you'd also want to tweak the memory allocated to the JVM here
as well buy adding the desired -Xmx option to the JAVA_OPTS variable as well.

Cheers,

Sean

> Hi. We are upgrading to CentOS 7 but notice some trouble with the THREDDS
> server 4.6 - the TDS root page becomes blank. We have an older server TDS 4.2
> which appears to work with the new CentOS 7.
>
> We used to have tomcat 8 but choose to use the tomcat 7 that comes with
> CentOS 7. We have Java 7.
>
> We have these two lines in setenv.sh to start TDS 4.6:
>

> CONTENT_ROOT="-Dtds.content.root.path=/var/lib/tomcats/ops/content/"
>
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
> -Djava.net.preferIPv4Addresses=true "
>

> CentOS 7 appears to have moved tomcat by default. Although that does not
> sound like a big change, the symptom we have seems to indicate something
> missing or not found. I wonder if you have ever tested a 4.6 instance with
> CentOS 7 which might help us navigating the new tomcat directories. Thanks.

Ticket ID: CVJ-417284
Department: Support THREDDS