[THREDDS #ILV-992366]: Accessing Model Data Question

Greetings!

I think a python/THREDDS data server (TDS) combination would work pretty well
for
this, as long as

1. the data you are interested in live on t a TDS
2. you already use python

We store about two weeks worth of NCEP model output on our demonstration TDS:

https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/idd/forecastModels.html

For each model, you can access each run separately. For example, see the listing
for the GFS 0.25 degree forecasts:

https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/grib/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p25deg/catalog.html

For a given model run, you can then use the NetcdfSubset Service (NCSS) to
request
data for a set of variables (in your example, just temperature), for a given
latitude
and longitude, for all forecast times. You cannot request by station ID, but as
long
as you know the stations lat/lon, then you are good to go.

The python library that will help make all of this possible (navigating the
catalogs,
making NCSS requests) is called Siphon.

https://unidata.github.io/siphon/latest/index.html

We have a basic example of reading a catalog and taking a look at the available
datasets
here:

https://unidata.github.io/siphon/latest/examples/Basic_Usage.html#sphx-glr-examples-basic-usage-py

and is an example getting the forecast time series of temperature (in this
case, on an
isobaric surface):

https://unidata.github.io/siphon/latest/examples/ncss/NCSS_Timeseries_Examples.html#sphx-glr-examples-ncss-ncss-timeseries-examples-py

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what's possible, and a possible workflow to
at least
collect the data needed to do further analysis. If you get hung up on any of
the python
stuff, feel free to reach out on our community python list at address@hidden,
or our python support team at address@hidden. I'll see those message as
well, but you will have a way more eyes on your question, which is certainly
more helpful to
helping you solve any issues you encounter.

Cheers!

Sean

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you would be able to point me in the right direction on
> how to do the following:
>
> For each model, and for each set of runs (00z, 12z, etc.) pull out the hourly
> surface temp for a station like KBOS...so that the temperature data can be
> averaged/weighted...and maybe put into an Excel spreadsheet or some other
> visualization/organizer?  Is this a python and thredds project?  Any help
> would be deeply appreciated, even just pointing me in the right direction
> would be very helpful!
>
> Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Ticket ID: ILV-992366
Department: Support THREDDS