[THREDDS #NMD-832849]: GFS ds083.3

Greetings!

While we at Unidata develop the THREDDS Data Server, this
particular instance (Research Data Archive) is managed by
the Data Engineering and Curation Section of the Computational
and Information Systems Laboratory at NCAR. I'm uncertain when
they started requiring a log-in to access the datasets on the
RDA, but they certainly do now. For example, I can see the
OPeNDAP access webpage for the dataset in your example by
visiting:

https://rda.ucar.edu/thredds/dodsC/files/g/ds083.3/2016/201602/gdas1.fnl0p25.2016020218.f00.grib2.html

but only after logging in first. Getting an account is free,
from what I understand here:

https://rda.ucar.edu/index.html?hash=data_user&action=register

Once registered, I'm sure there is a way to provide login
credentials in matlab so that you can access the data, but
I am not a matlab user myself, so I cannot offer any assistance
there. If you have issues getting things up and running once
you register, your best bet on getting help would be to contact
the RDA at address@hidden.

Cheers!

Sean

> Hello Unidata-workers,
>
> A couple of years ago I used the 0.25 dregee GFS re-analysis data and
> could access these directly from a Matlab session using:
>
> serverstring =
> 'https://rda.ucar.edu/thredds/dodsC/files/g/ds083.3/2016/201602/gdas1.fnl0p25.2016020218.f00.grib2';
>  lat_sample = ncread( serverstring, 'lat',1,1 );
>
> This link is no longer working. On the main ds083.3 product page
>
> https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds083.3/
>
> I did find a different thredds pathway:
>
> https://rda.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/files/g/ds083.3/2015/201510/catalog.html
>
> But couldn't figure out how to translate this to an address string I
> can use within Matlab to access the data directly from there.
>
> Could you help me with the right format-string for this product? Did
> something else change? Is there now a login required?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
>
> Best regards,

Ticket ID: NMD-832849
Department: Support THREDDS