[THREDDS #VDG-489239]: grid and geogrid server-side DAP functions

Greetings Cesare,

To add to Dennis' reply, if I am reading the functionality of grid()
and geogrid() correctly, these are subsetting functions? If so, you
can use the NetcdfSubset Service, which is part of the THREDDS Data
Server. I see you are also using pydap? If you are working in python,
our library Siphon will setup the NCSS queries for you and hand you
back a netcdf4-python Dataset object. For some examples, see here:

https://unidata.github.io/siphon/latest/examples/index.html#ncss

Cheers,

Sean

> We do not currently support server-side functions for Thredds.
> Our current recommendation is that you run a Jupyter server
> on the same machine as the Thredds server. That way you can upload
> programs to the Jupyter server to execute and obtain the rapid access
> to Thredds datasets by being on the same machine. This approach has
> the advantage that you can carry out much more sophisticated
> server-side computations in the Jupyter server than are likely
> to be supported by a more limited Thredds capability.
>
> > Full Name: Cesare Rossi
> > Email Address: address@hidden
> > Package Version: Version 4.6.11 - 2017-12-04T16:22:46-0700
> > Operating System: CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
> > Hardware:
> > Description of problem: Dear support,
> >
> > we are looking for DAP server-side processing functions [1] in THREDDS, in
> > particular grid() and geogrid(). We did not find any reference to them in
> > the documentation. Trying to invoke them [2], we obtain:
> >
> > Error 500 - opendap.servers.parsers.ASTfcn cannot be cast to
> > opendap.servers.parsers.ASTprojection
> >
> > Are they supported?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Best regards,