[THREDDS #RVZ-786018]: THREDDS Hardware Requirements

Greetings Warren,

The info on this page is still pretty relevant, but some parts are not quite up
to date:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/reference/Performance.html

For example, we'd recommend Tomcat 8 / Java 8 at this point. Also, ignore the
part
about Solaris. We still use ZFS, but Linux can use that now, too. We have not
had a
"bake off" between ZFS and EXT4, but a several years back we had one and ZFS
outperformed the other file systems.

In general, though, the TDS is going to be bound by I/O, so anything you can do
make sure that the TDS has maximum access to the disk is going to be good
(for example, minimizing any other services that are heavy on I/O).

We have seen traffic become an issue on our TDS, in that the maximum number
of network connections to our machine has been hit a few times. Usually this is
due to a number of slow connections downloading huge files using the HTTPServer
service on the TDS. Of course, this too can be somewhat mitigated by reducing
the
number of web applications hosted on the same machine.

What kind of data are you going to be serving out? Real time, or archived?
Format? This will play a role as well in terms of hardware.

Cheers!

Sean

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there were any known minimum hardware requirements
> for a THREDDS server? Is there a configuration that seems to have better
> performance? Should a THREDDS instance be stood up on a server separate
> from any other web applications? Or is everything really dependent on
> traffic and data?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Warren

> Warren Pettee, Applications Programmer