[THREDDS #WVA-198552]: NAS Hardware for Thredds Server

Christof,

Most of the buffering is done in memory. This doesn't imply that thredds
necessarily needs a lot of memory (2 GB can be fine, if a little cramped),
though more memory always helps. There are a couple processes that do use the
disk:

1) The TDM, which is a separate daemon you can run for indexing GRIB files,
writes indexes for GRIB files to disk
2) NCSS, when returning NetCDF4 formatted data, has to first write the data to
a temporary file on disk. This file is then returned.

I hope this helps.

Ryan

> We actually decided to run the server on a virtual server, which is hosted by
> our IT-group. This actually brings me to another question.
> Do the different THREDDS-Services (e.g. subsetting, â) âbufferâ the
> data on the machine on which the server is running? In other wordsâ
> Does the virtual machine (which hosts the server) need a lot of memory or do
> the services work directly in the directory where the data is
> located? I hope that this sounds somehow reasonable ;)

Ticket ID: WVA-198552
Department: Support THREDDS