[THREDDS #WML-374203]: add timeStride support for NCSS point datasets

John,

Thanks for the request. I've opened an issue on GitHub to keep it on the list:
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/issues/374

I will say that I'm guessing the fact that point features support an almost
arbitrary stream of data makes implementing time strides non-trivial--that's
likely why it's not in now. (It is a nice idea, though.)

Ryan

> Dear THREDDS Support,
> This is a request to please add support for the "timeStride" parameter for
> Point Datasets served via NetCDF Subset Service (NCSS) in TDS. As your
> documentation
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/reference/NetcdfSubsetServiceReference.html>
> states online, this is currently only available for Grid Datasets. It is a
> nice feature when one needs to make a long time series plot without
> drinking from the fire hose! :) In particular, I would like to use this for
> dynamic online plotting for our various FMRC model outputs. While these are
> Grid Datasets, I am querying them at a specific lat/lon point and using the
> "Grid as Point Dataset" feature inside NCSS. I tried adding the timeStride
> parameter to one of these URLs as a test and it does not perform any
> temporal stride.
>
> Here is an example that shows three months of hourly wave heights on Oahu
> at a lat/lon point. Note I have set timeStride=100 but am still getting the
> hourly results:
>
> http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/ncss/hioos/model/wav/swan/oahu/SWAN_Oahu_Regional_Wave_Model_best.ncd?var=shgt&latitude=21.7&longitude=-157.7&time_start=2015-10-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&time_end=2016-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&vertCoord=&accept=csv&timeStride=100
>
> It would be great if a future version of TDS could support this. Thanks for
> listening!
> Cheers,
> John Maurer
> Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
> University of Hawaii at Manoa

Ticket ID: WML-374203
Department: Support THREDDS