[THREDDS #WZZ-412504]: THREDDS End User Licence Terms and Conditions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hello Don,

Thank you for taking the time to find out about our software licensing - most
users take for granted that it is freely available.

The license for THREDDS (TDS) is described here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/copyright.html

I have verified that our license has not changed recently, though the page
still says 1993-2013, an oversight that will be corrected shortly.  Unidata
actually moved to the MIT-style license because it is less restrictive than the
LGPL.  Here is the text as it is actually embedded in our code:

 *  *
 *  *  Portions of this software were developed by the Unidata Program at the
 *  *  University Corporation for Atmospheric Research.
 *  *
 *  *  Access and use of this software shall impose the following obligations
 *  *  and understandings on the user. The user is granted the right, without
 *  *  any fee or cost, to use, copy, modify, alter, enhance and distribute
 *  *  this software, and any derivative works thereof, and its supporting
 *  *  documentation for any purpose whatsoever, provided that this entire
 *  *  notice appears in all copies of the software, derivative works and
 *  *  supporting documentation.  Further, UCAR requests that the user credit
 *  *  UCAR/Unidata in any publications that result from the use of this
 *  *  software or in any product that includes this software. The names UCAR
 *  *  and/or Unidata, however, may not be used in any advertising or publicity
 *  *  to endorse or promote any products or commercial entity unless specific
 *  *  written permission is obtained from UCAR/Unidata. The user also
 *  *  understands that UCAR/Unidata is not obligated to provide the user with
 *  *  any support, consulting, training or assistance of any kind with regard
 *  *  to the use, operation and performance of this software nor to provide
 *  *  the user with any updates, revisions, new versions or "bug fixes."
 *  *
 *  *  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY UCAR/UNIDATA "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR
 *  *  IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 *  *  WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 *  *  DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL UCAR/UNIDATA BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL,
 *  *  INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING
 *  *  FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
 *  *  NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
 *  *  WITH THE ACCESS, USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Regards,
  Lansing Madry
  Unidata
  Boulder, Colorado

> UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Hello,
>
> Can you provide a link to - or details about - THREDDS licensing terms and
> conditions in respect of its use and in respect of data that is accessed by
> THREDDS?
>
> I have been to your web site but it is not easy to find the T&C in plain
> English.
>
> There is no intention to modify THREDDS just to use it.
>
> Can I assume the GNU Lesser Public Licence is applicable?
>

> Regards
>
> Don
>
> Donald Agar
>
> CIOG S&T Coordinator & RPDE LO
> ICT Strategy & Architecture Branch
> Chief Information Officer Group
> Department of Defence
> APW-GF-108
> Canberra ACT 2600
>
> PO Box 7953
> CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
> Tel:  +61-2-6144 4039
> email: address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
>

> IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and
> is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you
> have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender
> and delete the email.

Ticket ID: WZZ-412504
Department: Support THREDDS