Re: description of NAM

Hi Geoff,

Comments inline below.

On 12/1/2011 7:31 AM, Geoff DiMego wrote:
Linda;

Hope all is going well for you and yours especially now that the hectic holiday season is upon us ^_^

I hate to be a bother, but I have a favor (yes ANOTHER one!) and a question to ask.
No apologies needed

A USGS user had asked me whether we would be making "Best Time Series" aggregations for the new NAM nests (4 km CONUS, 6 km Alaska, 3 km Hawaii & 3 km Puerto Rico-Hispaniola). I pleaded ignorance. He pointed me at http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_12km/catalog.html?dataset=fmrc/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_12km/NCEP-NAM-CONUS_12km-noaaport_best.ncd which I admit I was unaware of - my bad, but I recognize the unique & useful aspect of this product which you are constructing.

If you ever get to Boulder, you should plan to visit Unidata. We could bring you up to speed with what;s going on here. You might find some of the projects of interest to NCEP.

The favor is to update the 3rd Summary bullet under Documentation to: NCEP Nonhydrostatic Multiscale Model on B-grid (NMMB) running in the NOAA Environmental Modeling System (NEMS) infrastructure, and Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation (GSI) analysis. You could also add a bullet called NCEP Analysis documentaton / tutorial and link it to http://www.dtcenter.org/com-GSI/users/tutorials/11_2.php .

I'm sure we can do that. I've cc'd Doug Dirks and Ethan Davis who can check it out and make the appropriate edits.

My question comes from the one the USGS guy asked: are you planning to aggregate Best Time Series for the new NAM nests?

I'll bet the "USGS guy" is Rich Signell, who is a liaison to our Users Committee. He definitely keeps us on our toes. I'll defer your question to Ethan.

Hope  your holidays are joyful!

Linda

--
Linda Miller - address@hidden