[THREDDS #KDX-527042]: TDS 4.2 install error

Hi Jim,

What version of the TDS are you installing?

TDS has some known problems running on the default RH 5 Tomcat installation.
Take a look at this FAQ to see if that helps:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/faq.html#rh5SymLinksAndContent

Also, the following part of the log file you included makes me think you may
need to undeploy the TDS and deploy it again rather than just stop/start it.
Looks like there is a thredds.xml file in Tomcat's working directories that
isn't parsing correctly.

> Jul 11, 2011 9:40:48 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
> deployDescriptor
> SEVERE: Error deploying configuration descriptor thredds.xml
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
> LifecycleException:  Error initializaing :  java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:764)
>  at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:740)
>  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:544)
>  at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:634)
>  at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:561)

Hope that helps,

Ethan

Jim White wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt response. Attached is the log file you requested. By
> the way I incorrectly said we have Red Hat 6, but it is Red Hat 5.
>
> Jim

> > Hi Jim:
> >
> > stop tomcat.
> >
> > In $tomcat_home/logs
> >
> > delete everything.
> >
> > try starting tomcat, then TDS again.

> > look at all the output there. Send us anything or everything.
> >
> > John
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am trying to install the THREDDS Data Server on our Red Hat 6
> > > server. When I try to start it I get the error.
> > >
> > > INFO: HTMLManager: start: Starting web application at '/thredds'
> > > log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
> > > (org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax).
> > > log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
> > > TdsConfigContextListener.contextInitialized(): start.
> > > Jul 11, 2011 2:22:12 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> > > SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> > > Jul 11, 2011 2:22:12 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> > > SEVERE: Context [/thredds] startup failed due to previous errors
> > >
> > > Would appreciate any assistance in getting this running. I work for the
> > > Biology Dept at North Carolina State Univ.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Jim White

Ticket ID: KDX-527042
Department: Support THREDDS