[THREDDS #HTL-392352]: Metadata Variability on Motherload

Hi David,

Improving our automated metadata extraction is an area we've been working on
recently. Our next TDS release (4.2.4) will contain a number of enhancements in
this area especially for model (gridded) data and station (and other point
observation) data. We plan to release TDS 4.2.4 in the next week or two. We
will have it running on our motherlode server by the time we announce its
availability.

So, please take another look at the motherlode catalogs in a week or so. And
let us know what you think of the changes.

Thanks,

Ethan

> I am looking at metadata on motherload (via GI-Cat and Web), with the
> goal of making the data discoverable for the CUAHSI partners. We have
> previously done a web service for the NAM model, but users are
> expressing a desire to utilize other data.
>
> There is a great variability in the metadata description, which will
> limit the ability to discover data.
> Unless I know I am looking for information from the North American
> Model, then I will never discover  using terms that are the
> "attributes"/variables/parameter names.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> David Valentine
> SDSC
>
> Details:
> =====
> Station Data has "variables" to the cf convention.
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/obsData.xml
> ====
> Some models do have good descriptions, see *NCEP Global Ensemble
> Forecasting System (GEFS) in this record*
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/idd/models.xml
>
> And it's full record, also has the descriptions.
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/NCEP/GEFS/Global_1p0deg_Ensemble/member/catalog.xml
>
> ===
> But North American Model data just basically says, here it the file,
> read it yourself.
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_12km/runs/catalog.xml
>
> The UI can read it:
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/godiva2/godiva2.html?server=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/wms/fmrc/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_12km/runs/NCEP-NAM-CONUS_12km-noaaport_RUN_2011-01-27T18:00:00Z