[THREDDS #XCB-471982]: THREDDS crash on WMS request?

Hi Rich,

Not sure why the server/TDS went down. But the various messages you give are
issues that we've seen before on shutdown but should not themselves cause a
shutdown.

The issues:

1) The first message involving ThreadLocal is discussed in this TDS FAQ:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/faq.html#shutdownUnstoppedThreads

2) The log4j error message we've seen before on unexpected shutdowns. Haven't
traced it down but believe it has to do with the order that classes get
unloaded on shutdown.

3) The message around geotoolkit, I believe, is something we can fix by
improving the TDS configuration of geotoolkit once we upgrade to the latest
version of geotoolkit.

Let us know if you have any other problems or if there are any clues to you
server going down in threddsServlet.log or anything.

Ethan

Rich Signell wrote:
> I'm giving a demo of accessing data from our IOOS Modeling Testbed TDS
> system (Version 4.2.1 - 20101201.2028)
> http://testbedapps.sura.org/thredds/catalog.html
> today at 4pm EST, so of course when I arrived in the office today, I
> found it  crashed.  It restarted, but now I'm nervous.
>
> The catalina log contains these errors:
>
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] created a ThreadLocal with key
> of type [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap] (value
> [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap@49d93fe7]) and a value of
> type [java.util.Hashtable] (value [{startTime=1287581670844, userid=-,
> host=24.249.210.114, ident=-, ID=137, request="GET
> /thredds/wms/inundation/uf_slosh/files/ConvertedToNetCDF/max_water_level.nc?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities
> HTTP/1.1"}]) but failed to remove it when the web application was
> stopped. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
> log4j:ERROR LogMananger.repositorySelector was null likely due to
> error in class reloading, using NOPLoggerRepository.
> Oct 27, 2010 2:39:01 PM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol destroy
> INFO: Stopping Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
> Oct 27, 2010 2:39:01 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader loadClass
> INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
> already.  Could not load
> org.geotoolkit.referencing.factory.StoreDisposer.  The eventual
> following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
> purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused
> the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
> java.lang.IllegalStateException
> at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1531)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1491)
> at
> org.geotoolkit.referencing.factory.ThreadedAuthorityFactory.dispose(ThreadedAuthorityFactory.java:464)
> at
> org.geotoolkit.referencing.factory.epsg.ThreadedEpsgFactory.dispose(ThreadedEpsgFactory.java:664)
> at org.geotoolkit.factory.ShutdownHook.run(ShutdownHook.java:78)
> Exception in thread "FactoryCleaner" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/geotoolkit/referencing/factory/StoreDisposer

Ticket ID: XCB-471982
Department: Support THREDDS