Re: NCDC Datasets and COARDS Conventions

Ok heres the background:

Its a bit hard to get the udunits time values right in the aggregations, so I started using ISO date strings, and proposed that CF accept those. ISO date strings IMO are superior to udunit values for a number of reasons, but the proposal was rejected. I never got around to moving back to udunit values because, well, it wasnt that easy for reasons that arent very interesting. Since my client software (CDM) accepts ISO strings, most TDS users didnt notice. Some have (like Roy), and i have the problem fixed in 4.2.

I would recommend that client software accept supersets of CF when possible. Data writers should, OTOH, try to be strict with CF compliance, and I plead guilty as charged.

I think Bill's issue may be seperate from all that, and we are working on it. ill let you know what we find.