[THREDDS #CZR-333353]: running multiple TDS' under same tomcat

Hi Kevin,

> Thanks a lot for getting back to me.  Just a quick
> clarification...Because of item 3 below - does that mean installing more
> than one thredds server under a single tomcat instance won't work, or
> will there just be some sort of clash in logging?
>
> In the end, it sounds like it's best for me to wait for the next release
> before trying this.

Yes, definitely best to wait for the next release before trying this.

I'm still trying to figure out where things clash. The second TDS to be
deployed seems to always fail to start. However, after it has been deployed and
fails to start, starting it again succeeds. The logging directories contain the
context name ("thredds" or "thredds2") so are different thus preventing a
logging clash.

I think it is one of the following:
  1) a clash when re-setting the "tds.log.dir" system property
     (which, now that I think about it again, doesn't seem that
     likely);
  2) a clash when logging is initialized with the re-set
     "tds.log.dir" system property (also, doesn't seem likely); or
  3) a problem when the content/thredds2 directory doesn't exist.

The latter seems most likely at the moment but I need to dig into this some
more before I'll be sure.

Ethan

> > 3) The second new one has to do with how our logging system
> > knows to put the log files in the content/thredds/logs
> > directory. It involves a system property and "${key}"
> > substitution in our log4j.log file. The problem is that some
> > servlet containers (including Tomcat) do not keep system
> > properties separate per web application and so "tds.log.dir"
> > clashes across two TDS instances. For the current TDS versions,
> > there is not a  solution as the name of the system property
> > ("tds.log.dir") is contained in code and in our log4j.xml file.

Ticket ID: CZR-333353
Department: Support THREDDS