[THREDDS #WSO-407852]: Problem with accessing OpenDAP data

Hi Adam,

> I am having trouble accessing some of the HYCOM data through OpenDAP.
>
> The data I have been trying to access is this:-
> http://tds.hycom.org/thredds/dodsC/GLBa0.08/expt_05.8.html
>
> If I select, for example, some of the v velocity data the Data URL it gives
> is:-
> http://tds.hycom.org/thredds/dodsC/GLBa0.08/expt_05.8?v[0:1:100][0:1:32][0:1:1000][0:1:100]
>
> When I 'use' this in Ferret v6.2 I only seem to get invalid data, whilst the
> ascii
> that appears when I click on 'Get ASCII' looks to be valid.
>
> I have asked a colleague who is familiar with OpenDAP and he finds the same
> problem when trying to access this data. Other datasets that he uses regularly
> from other sites work fine.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Try handing Ferret the unconstrained dataset URL (i.e., without the "?v[...]")
and then selecting and subsetting a variable through Ferret. Ferret should be
able to construct and request the correct subset (using a URL similar to the
one you list above). I'm not that familiar with Ferret or how to subset a
dataset but here's the result of a quick google on "ferret opendap":

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/HOMEPAGE/DODS/ferret_dods.html

which has a link to

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/HOMEPAGE/Demos/dods_demo/dods_demo.html

which looked useful.