Re: Basic Issues using netcdf service & aggregation

Hi Apurv:

1. you need to enable the NetCDF Subset Service in the config file, see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/ThreddsConfigXMLFile.html

2. In this element:

 <netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";>
   <aggregation type="union"/>
 </netcdf>

You havent added any files, you cant use a datasetScan element here. You want something like

<dataset name="Test all files in a directory" ID="testUnion"
urlPath="satellite/union.nc"

   <metadata inherited="true">
     <serviceName>thisNETCDF</serviceName>
     <dataFormat>NetCDF</dataFormat>
   </metadata>

   <netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";>
    <aggregation type="union">
      <scan location="/data/ldm/pub/native/satellite/3.9/WEST-CONUS_4km/"
suffix=".nc" />
    </aggregation>
   </netcdf>

 </dataset>

see:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tutorial/NcML.htm

3. thanks for letting me know who you work for

4. in the future, send these questions to address@hidden

good luck!

Apurv Bhartia wrote:
Hi John,

I have basically started with THREDDS server and netCDF a couple of days back. I have had a look at the documentation provided but cannot figure this out.
Two Issues -
1) I am trying to get the dataset use the netcdf service, but it fails giving me the error that 'service not found'.

Below is the code -
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog name="THREDDS Server Default Catalog : You must change this to fit your server!"
xmlns=" http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink <http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink>">

<service name="thisDODS" serviceType="OpenDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/" />
<service name="thisNETCDF" serviceType="NetcdfServer" base="/thredds/ncServer/" />
<datasetRoot path="test" location="content/testdata/"/>
<dataset name="Test Single Dataset" ID="testDataset" serviceName="thisNETCDF"
urlPath="test/testData.nc"/>
<datasetScan name="Test all files in a directory" ID="testDatasetScan"
path="testAll" location="content/testdata">
<metadata inherited="true">
<serviceName>thisNETCDF</serviceName>
<dataFormat>NetCDF</dataFormat>
</metadata>

<filter>
<include wildcard="*.nc"/>
</filter>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";>
<aggregation type="union"/>
</netcdf>
</datasetScan>
<catalogRef xlink:title="Test Enhanced Catalog" xlink:href="enhancedCatalog.xml" name=""/>
</catalog>

2) Further, I have a few doubts regarding aggregation. I am trying to get the aggregation thing going. Basically, I'd like to take files from a specified directory and aggregate them (type = "union")

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog name="THREDDS Server Default Catalog : You must change this to fit your server!"
xmlns=" http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>

<service name="thisDODS" serviceType="OpenDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/" />
<service name="thisNETCDF" serviceType="NetcdfServer" base="/thredds/ncServer/" />
<datasetRoot path="test" location="content/testdata/"/>
<dataset name="Aggregate all files in a directory" path="test"> <serviceName>thisDODS</serviceName>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";>
<aggregation dimName = "refTime" type="joinExisting">
<scan location="content/testdata/" suffix=".nc"/> // this is the location,and aggregate all files ending with .nc
</aggregation>
</netcdf>
</dataset>
</catalog>

Objective is to take files from /content/testdata directory and aggregate them. It would be great if you can tell me where I am goofing up and how to go about it.

Thanks a lot,
-Apurv